The name of the village originates from a knight named “Kömpöcz.” Over 200 years ago, this wasteland came under the possession of the Archbishop of Eger. The first settlers arrived around 1850-52 and built rudimentary huts with reed and straw on the current urban area. The territory was leased to the residents by the Eger Chapter, and that is how the area started to be populated.
According to legend, famous outlaws, Rózsa Sándor and Bogár Imre, also passed through here. The territory was administratively part of Kiskunmajsa. The population of the settlement was engaged in animal husbandry and agriculture. The village gained its independence in 1950.